Flexible Teaching is an approach to course design and delivery that helps students learn and succeed in any mode: face-to-face, online, or hybrid.
Choose from one of the guides below to begin developing your flexible course.
A Guide to Course Design
A Guide to Course Materials
During the 3-week Academy, you will learn the practices and principles of effective online course design and apply them as you begin to develop your online course.
Each week, you will experience and examine a variety of methods of online delivery firsthand and will select and implement effective strategies for quality online teaching and learning in your course(s). The Academy will include active learning activities, such as discussions and a design project.
By the end of our Academy, you will be able to:
- Incorporate active learning strategies in an online learning environment
- Align objectives, assessments, activities, and content in an online learning environment
- Select technology appropriate for your course objectives
- Identify resources at NIU that support online course design and delivery
- Experience online learning from a student's perspective
In addition, participating in the online Academy will help you connect to a community of peers interested in online course design, and gain confidence in your ability to design and deliver an online course.
Didn't find what you were looking for? Need more information?
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates
Flexible Teaching guides were developed by Duke Learning Innovation and adapted for NIU by the Center for Innovative Teaching and Learning. They are shared under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License, except where otherwise noted.